Perez Hilton remains hospitalized in Florida more than two weeks after a severe mental health crisis that left his family facing what his sister described as one of the darkest moments of their lives.
The 48-year-old celebrity blogger, whose real name is Mario Armando Lavandeira Jr., was hospitalized on August 4, 2026, after emergency services were called to his Miami-area home. He remains under inpatient medical and mental health care, while his family continues to ask the public to give him, his three children and their relatives privacy.
Other Families Sharing Health Updates: Perez Hilton’s family isn’t the only one recently opening up about a painful medical situation involving their children. Our report on Jesy Nelson Shares Emotional Health Update on Twin Daughters After Rare SMA Type 1 Diagnosis covers another parent navigating a difficult diagnosis in the public eye.
Perez Hilton’s sister reveals what happened inside the family home
The first major details about that night came from Hilton’s younger sister, Barbara Lavandeira, who spoke to Page Six about what she witnessed.
Barbara said Hilton had been in his bedroom with the door closed and locked, something she described as unusual. When he stopped responding to knocks and a phone call, she entered and discovered the situation.
She described August 4 as:
“one of the darkest days my family and I have ever experienced”
Barbara said she has deliberately kept some details private because they were too painful, graphic and overwhelming. According to her account, the incident happened only minutes before Hilton’s public TikTok livestream.
Recovering From the Unimaginable: Barbara’s account of that night reflects how sudden and disorienting a medical emergency can be for a family. Our piece on Evangeline Lilly Reveals Lasting Brain Injury After Hawaii Accident: Actress Shares Honest Health Update in 2026 follows another public figure’s path through an equally unexpected crisis.
His children were at home when the crisis unfolded
Perhaps the most heartbreaking part of the situation is that Hilton’s three children were inside the house.
His son Mario III is 13, while his daughters Mia and Mayte are 11 and 8. His niece and Barbara were also at the home. All three children were born via surrogacy.
Barbara said her first thought was getting the children away from the situation. She grabbed the car keys, told the children to run to the car and then called 911 after they were safely inside. A nearby friend took them away from the scene. Barbara later returned to help Hilton while waiting for emergency responders.
That night ultimately brought police, mental health professionals and emergency medical responders to the property.
Chronic Illness, Told Honestly: Barbara’s instinct to protect the children first speaks to how families rally around loved ones during a health emergency. Our story on Bella Hadid Breaks Down in Emotional Health Update: Model Reveals Lyme Disease Flare-Up shares another candid account of an ongoing health struggle.
What happened after police arrived?
The Miami-Dade Sheriff’s Office responded following reports involving Hilton’s livestream. He was treated for multiple lacerations and an overdose before being taken to hospital.
He was placed under Florida’s Baker Act for involuntary psychiatric evaluation and treatment. His TikTok account was subsequently banned. Hilton has also been without access to his cellphone, social media and the internet during his treatment, with contact restricted to immediate family, medical providers and others directly involved in his care.
His family later confirmed that he experienced significant blood loss and sustained additional injuries requiring surgery. His condition has been described as “serious but stable.”
A Coma and a Long Road Back: Emergency surgery and a “serious but stable” status often mark just the beginning of a longer recovery. Our coverage of Billy Porter’s Near-Death Health Scare, 3-Day Coma & Inspiring Comeback: Inside His Recovery, New Children’s Book, and Powerful Life Lessons (2026 Update) follows one star’s journey through a similarly serious medical episode.
Hilton’s recovery could be a long road, family says
While Hilton’s exact medical prognosis has not been publicly disclosed, his family has made one thing clear: recovery will not happen overnight.
Barbara said Hilton has a long road ahead physically and mentally, while the family has warned that it is still too early to know the extent of any permanent injury or scarring. Hilton has also spent time with his mother, Teresita Lavandeira, and Barbara during his hospitalization.
At the same time, Hilton’s mother has obtained temporary legal custody of his three children with his voluntary consent. Court documents say the arrangement is in the children’s best interest. Hilton may later petition to regain custody, potentially through a transition plan.
Barbara stressed that neither she nor their mother is seeking permanent custody. The stated goal is for Hilton to eventually return to caring for his children once he is healthy and able to do so safely.
When Organ Failure Nearly Took a Life: Uncertainty about how long a recovery will take is a common thread in stories like this one. Our report on Phil Collins Says He Nearly Died After Organ Failure: The Moment Doctors Considered Life Support and His Family Was Called to Say Goodbye recounts another family facing that same uncertainty.
The mental health struggle began before the August crisis
The family’s account also provides important context about what Hilton had been experiencing before August 4.
About two weeks before the crisis, Hilton reportedly told Barbara and his mother that he felt “empty, hopeless, and like he was a burden on everyone.” He had previously been hospitalized for depression and had also disclosed taking the remaining painkillers from his March surgery on a night when he could not sleep because he “just wanted to sleep.”
His struggles followed a serious medical crisis in March. Hilton developed an ulcer with perforation after flu-like symptoms and medication-related issues, resulting in sepsis and a prolonged hospitalization. He spent nearly a month in hospital, underwent abdominal surgery, had fluid drained from around his lungs and required physical therapy.
Afterward, he experienced problems with sleep and eating, depression, anxiety and overwhelming thoughts.
A Health Scare That’s Still Unfolding: Hilton’s March hospitalization set the stage for what followed months later, a reminder that health situations can evolve unpredictably. Our coverage of Simone Biles’ Mysterious Health Scare Takes Another Turn After New Procedure—What We Actually Know So Far tracks a similarly evolving situation in real time.
Barbara has a message for people calling the crisis “karma”
As news of Hilton’s hospitalization spread, some public reactions described the situation as “karma.”
Barbara said those comments were particularly painful.
“I wouldn’t wish what my mother, Mario’s children, or our entire family is experiencing on anyone.”
She also defended the person she says Hilton has become, pointing to his acknowledgment of harm caused earlier in his career and his repeated apologies. Barbara said he had changed significantly over the past two decades and described him as a devoted father whose children are at the centre of his life.
Separating Rumor From Reality: Public reaction to a celebrity’s health crisis doesn’t always match what the family says is actually happening. Our piece on What’s Wrong with Dolly Parton? The Truth About Her Health, Illness Rumors, and Las Vegas Residency Delay untangles a different set of health rumors from the facts.
Unconfirmed reports raise questions about how long recovery could take
There have also been reports from anonymous sources claiming Hilton could face permanent scarring, months or years of recovery and potentially extended inpatient psychiatric treatment.
But there is an important distinction here: those claims have not been confirmed by Hilton’s family or medical team. Barbara has specifically said it is too early to determine the extent of lasting damage.
Separate reports have also claimed Hilton has asked about friends and celebrities with whom he previously repaired relationships. Those reports referenced Lady Gaga, Katy Perry, Adele, Britney Spears and Khloe Kardashian, although the supplied reporting does not establish that these celebrities were expected to visit him or had any obligation to do so.
Silence Before an Announcement: Families often wait until they’re ready before sharing difficult medical news publicly, and that pattern shows up elsewhere too. Our story on Nara Smith Reveals Daughter Whimsy Lou’s Cancer Diagnosis After Months of Silence: Everything the Model and TikTok Star Shared follows another family’s decision on when to go public.
PerezHilton.com is still publishing while he remains hospitalized
Interestingly, Hilton’s website has continued operating even though he currently has no access to his business accounts or social media.
His family decided to keep PerezHilton.com active because it is also a source of income. They have said its content will not return to the confrontational style historically associated with Hilton.
“It won’t be mean, it won’t be calling people out, but there is celebrity news happening and people are used to going to his site to read about it.”
Perez Hilton remains hospitalized as family asks for privacy
As of the latest mid-to-late August 2026 updates, Hilton remains hospitalized and continues receiving around-the-clock inpatient care from medical and mental health professionals.
His family recently thanked people who had reached out and confirmed that his treatment remains ongoing. For now, his health is the priority, while his immediate family and medical team remain closely involved in his recovery.
The family continues to ask the public, media, paparazzi and content creators to respect their privacy — particularly the privacy of Hilton’s three children — as the family navigates what Barbara has described as an incredibly difficult period.
Disclaimer and source note
This article is based solely on the supplied source material, including statements attributed to Perez Hilton’s family and reporting from Page Six and other outlets referenced in the material. Claims from anonymous sources regarding possible lifelong disfigurement, permanent scarring, the duration of psychiatric treatment, Hilton’s state of mind and the level of outside support have not been independently confirmed by his family or medical team and are therefore presented as reported claims, not established facts. Medical circumstances may change as treatment continues, and the family has said it is too early to determine the extent of lasting injuries.
Sources:
- Page Six – Sister’s firsthand account
- Page Six – Full Barbara Lavandeira interview
- Page Six – Prior depression hospitalization
- NBC News
- NBC 6 South Florida (Sheriff’s report)
- Forbes (Aug. 17 family update)
- PEOPLE
Image Credit:
- Featured Image: “Perez Hilton at the Gears of War event at the Hollywood Forever Cemetery, 2006” by Gamerscore Blog, Wikimedia Commons, CC BY-SA 2.0




Leave a Reply