An illustration of a young woman with curly brown hair tied in a bun, wearing a yellow hoodie, sitting at her desk and focused on video editing. She is using a large monitor and a laptop. Her cozy room features brick walls, acoustic foam panels, string lights, a camera on a tripod by the window, and a bookshelf filled with tech gear. A wooden sign in the bottom right corner reads "Backyard Drunkard."

Be our strength by showing your love and support.

Support us to grow more, create more, and connect with curious minds across the world — where creativity becomes a universal language.

Harvard Reaches $53 Million Settlement Over Stolen Body Parts Scheme: “A Flagrant Betrayal of Our Values”

Published on

in

Exterior view of Harvard Medical School quadrangle and historic stone buildings on a clear day with snow patches on the grass.

For families who donated their loved ones’ remains to Harvard Medical School, the decision was meant to support medical education and research. Instead, an investigation uncovered a shocking scheme in which human remains were allegedly removed from Harvard’s morgue and sold to buyers across several states.

Now, Harvard University has agreed to a $53 million settlement with families whose relatives’ remains were affected. A Suffolk Superior Court judge in Boston preliminarily approved the class-action settlement on August 18, 2026, although final court approval is still required.

More Medical Misconduct News: Harvard’s scandal isn’t the only case this month raising questions about accountability inside the medical field. For more, read our story on Dr. Yasser Adly Abdel Rahman being struck off the medical register.

Harvard Medical School settlement follows a shocking body-parts trafficking case

The settlement stems from the criminal case involving Cedric Lodge, the former manager of Harvard Medical School’s morgue. Lodge had worked at the morgue for nearly three decades before investigators uncovered his role in trafficking donated human remains.

According to the U.S. Department of Justice, Lodge removed remains from cadavers donated to Harvard between 2018 and at least March 2020. The remains had already been used for teaching and research but had not yet been scheduled for disposal or cremation under the applicable anatomical gift arrangements.

The stolen remains included organs, brains, skin, hands, faces, dissected heads and other human remains.

Prosecutors said Lodge removed them without the knowledge or permission of Harvard, the donors or their families. Some were transported from the Harvard morgue in Boston to Lodge’s home in Goffstown, New Hampshire, where he and his wife, Denise Lodge, packaged and sold remains to buyers.

The investigation eventually revealed that the remains moved through Massachusetts, New Hampshire and Pennsylvania, with some buyers later reselling them for profit.

More Academic Institution News: Harvard isn’t the only major university facing scrutiny over how it handled a serious internal matter. Check out our story on Jason Arday resigning from the University of Cambridge amid plagiarism claims.

The case unfolded through both criminal and civil proceedings

The scandal triggered lawsuits from families who argued that Harvard failed to properly safeguard remains entrusted to its Anatomical Gift Program.

The civil litigation began in 2023 and initially faced dismissal in state court. The claims were later revived by the Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court, allowing the lawsuits against Harvard to continue.

The $53 million agreement now provides a civil resolution to those claims. Importantly, the settlement is not a criminal finding against Harvard. Lodge and the other people involved were prosecuted separately by federal authorities.

DateEventOfficial detail
2018–March 2020Remains removedDOJ said Lodge stole remains from donated cadavers
2023Investigation becomes publicHarvard fired Lodge
May 2025Guilty pleaLodge pleaded guilty to interstate transportation of stolen human remains
Dec. 16, 2025Lodge sentenced96 months, or eight years, in federal prison
July 2026Joshua Taylor sentenced24 months in prison
Aug. 18, 2026Settlement preliminarily approvedHarvard agreed to $53 million settlement
Aug. 18, 2026Katrina Maclean sentenced24 months in prison

Cedric Lodge received eight years in federal prison

Lodge was 58 when sentenced. He pleaded guilty in May 2025 to interstate transportation of stolen human remains and was sentenced on December 16, 2025, to 96 months in federal prison.

His wife, Denise Lodge, received a sentence of 12 months and one day.

The wider investigation involved Joshua Taylor, Andrew Ensanian, Matthew Lampi, Katrina Maclean and Angelo Pereyra, among others.

Taylor, who prosecutors said knowingly purchased stolen human remains, was sentenced to 24 months in prison in July 2026. Maclean was sentenced to 24 months on August 18, 2026, after admitting she purchased remains she knew had been stolen from Harvard and transported them to Pennsylvania.

“Morally reprehensible”

That phrase is now part of Harvard’s planned response to the scandal.

More Academic Controversy News: Institutional accountability keeps being a running theme across major universities this year. For more, read our story on the full Jason Arday Cambridge academic controversy.

Families said Harvard failed to protect donated remains

The lawsuits placed the spotlight on more than Lodge’s actions. Families argued that Harvard should have had stronger oversight and safeguards around its Anatomical Gift Program.

An early class-action complaint estimated that 350 to 400 donated cadavers could potentially have been affected. However, the exact number of donors or remains involved has not been fully established publicly and will be addressed through the formal settlement claims process.

Under the agreement, two settlement funds totaling $53 million will be created. A third-party administrator will identify and notify eligible family members or designated representatives and handle the distribution of funds.

The settlement class covers donors whose remains were received by Harvard Medical School between January 1, 2018, and March 31, 2023.

Individual payments will depend on the approved settlement and claims process. The money will not simply be divided equally among every family.

Harvard will acknowledge the scandal and create a donor scholarship

The settlement also includes measures beyond financial compensation.

Harvard Medical School will hold a live webinar for claimant families where the school will formally acknowledge that Lodge’s conduct was “morally reprehensible” and inconsistent with Harvard’s standards for treating anatomical donors.

During the webinar, Harvard will also explain changes made to its Anatomical Gift Program following the scandal.

In a letter to the Harvard Medical School and Harvard School of Dental Medicine communities, Dean George Q. Daley and Dean for Medical Education Bernard S. Chang described Lodge’s conduct as “despicable, abhorrent, and a flagrant betrayal of our values as a medical community.”

They also said the settlement would help avoid “prolonged litigation”, while acknowledging that “the process of recovering from this painful incident continues.”

Harvard will also establish an annual financial-aid scholarship for medical students beginning in the 2027–2028 academic year, created “in appreciation and in honor of all of our anatomical donors.”

More Education News: Big institutional decisions affecting families and students keep making headlines beyond Harvard too. Dive into our story on why Priscilla Chan’s primary school closed after its $125 million experiment.

What happens next after Harvard’s $53 million settlement?

The settlement has only received preliminary approval, meaning the legal process is not finished.

The court must grant final approval before the claims process can move forward. After that, the third-party administrator is expected to notify eligible families, process claims and distribute payments.

For Harvard, the agreement goes beyond the $53 million payout. It includes a public acknowledgment, changes to the Anatomical Gift Program and a scholarship intended to honour anatomical donors.

The case has also exposed how much trust families place in medical institutions when they donate a loved one’s remains for education and research. Rebuilding that trust, as Harvard itself has acknowledged, may take considerably longer than resolving the lawsuits.

More Daily Events: Big institutional stories aren’t limited to university scandals this week. For more, check out our coverage of NASA’s LRO capturing images of a fresh moon crater from a SpaceX Falcon 9 impact.

Disclaimer

This article is based on a thorough review of the Reuters report, U.S. Department of Justice records and statements, Harvard Medical School communications, The Guardian, Associated Press and USA Today reporting cited in the supplied source material. The $53 million settlement received preliminary approval on August 18, 2026, and remains subject to final court approval and the claims-administration process. Information concerning individual donors, eligible claims and the exact number of affected remains may change as the formal settlement process continues. Statements attributed to Harvard officials are presented as published in their official communications.

Official and relevant sources

Featured Image: Joseph Barillari / Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0

Leave a Reply

Backyard Drunkard Logo

Follow Us On


Categories


Discover more from Backyard Drunkard

Subscribe now to keep reading and get access to the full archive.

Continue reading